Clinical Genetics - a section of Genetics that studies the laws of hereditary transmission of pathological symptoms, their distribution and expression, depending on the environmental conditions and being developed questions of treatment, prognosis and prevention of human genetic diseases. more
Clinical genetics - Applied Medical Genetics section to address clinical problems in patients or their families. These issues are as follows: the diagnosis patient, how to help him (treatment), how to prevent the birth of sick offspring (forecast and prevention). Based on clinical methods it is supposed the definition of hereditary diseases that are confirmed or are eliminated by laboratory tests.
Indications for medical genetic counseling
- Established or suspected hereditary disease in the family, birth of a child with malformations, delay physical development, or mental retardation of the child;
- Impact known or possible teratogens during the first 3 months of pregnancy;
- Unfavorable course of pregnancy;
- Pregnancy Planning of spouses older than 35 years
The latest medical advances allow to prevent the tragedy, particularly before birth with incurable physical or mental abnormalities. It is necessary everyone to know about what he risks, and what opportunities of choice has.
Consultation genetics allows you to get answers to following questions:
- Have you have hereditary the disease, and whether you are a the bearer of of a disease;
- Exclude probability of a sick child, whether to continue the pregnancy;
- What help can be rendered a child with a genetic condition, and where to get it.
Functions doctor genetics
Doctor geneticist performs two main functions. First, it "helps" to colleagues "to diagnose", by using special genetic techniques at the differential diagnosis. And, secondly, it determines the "forecast future offspring health" (or already born). There is always before a doctor arise medical, genetic and deontological problems; at different stages of the consultation dominated one, then the other.